//build is an annual developer conference from Microsoft where a lot of awesome developer focused announcements would happen. This year’s event took place between May 7th and 9th of 2018. As a part of BDotNet community events, we had organized a recap event on August 4, 2018 to talk about some of the latest announcements. Below is the agenda from the event.
I chose the topic on “CI/CD and AKS with VSTS“. The topic encompasses a broad spectrum in itself. Below are the high level items I covered as a part of this session.
- Introduction to Docker Containers
- Dockerizing ASP.NET Core web application
- Introduction to Kubernetes
- Concepts of k8s – why’s and how’s
- Working with minikube in local machine
- Deploying ASP.NET Core application to minikube
- Introduction to AKS – Azure Kubernetes Service
- Demo of Creating AKS from Azure Portal
- Setting up Build pipelines from VSTS
- Build & Push images to DockerHub
- Setting up Release pipelines from VSTS
- Deploy the latest image to AKS k8s cluster
It was a more of demo focused and Zero PPT based session. Below are links for the resources used in the session
- K8S – Getting started Gist
- Contains commonly used k8s commands and steps to create deployments, services in k8s
- ASP.NET Web App Code base
- Source code with dockerfile & k8s deployment.yaml with steps for dockerizing and deploying the app to k8s
- Docker Image of demo app from DockerHub
- Build Pipeline
- Release Pipeline
The session was well received by 80+ participants. It was a great new learning about Kubernetes, Azure Kubernetes Service, VSTS & setting up a simple CI/CD pipeline for deploying ASP.NET Core apps for many of the audience.